Western Australia has two industrial relations systems: state and national.

The system that applies to you is determined by how your business was set up.

Generally, the national system applies to incorporated business – those with ‘Pty Ltd’ or ‘Ltd’ in their name, while the state system applies to sole traders, unincorporated partnerships and some trusts.

There is some overlap between the state and national systems; for example termination notice and parental leave is covered by the national, while employers covered by the national system must abide by state laws in relation to long service leave and when children can work.

If your business belongs under the national system, the Fair Work Ombudsman can provide you with assistance and information to meet your employer obligations. In the state system, you can contact Wageline for assistance.

If you are still not sure which system you belong in, contact Wageline for assistance.

More information