There is a range of support available to help small businesses affected by Tropical Cyclone Ellie in the emergency regions.

The emergency regions include the following local government areas:

  • Broome
  • Derby West Kimberley
  • Halls Creek
  • Wyndham East Kimberley

Disaster Recovery Allowance

The Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short-term payment to help you if your income has been affected due to the cyclone.

Information about eligibility and how to apply is available through the Services Australia website.

Applications are open until 6 July 2023.

ATO disaster support services

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides dedicated disaster support services that are available when you need them.

This includes a range of practical options like more time to lodge and pay tax obligations and reissuing tax documents or records.

For more information about the support available visit the ATO website.

Support from your bank

The Australian Banking Association has announced that its member banks will be providing help to affected customers. This includes deferral of loan payments for up to three months and the waiving of certain fees and charges.

Visit the Australian Banking Association website to find out more.

Rural West financial counselling

If you are experiencing financial distress, you can access financial counselling services through Rural West.

This service is available to small businesses and primary producers throughout the cyclone impacted region.

You can free call 1800 612 004 or visit the Rural West website for more information.

Business support in your local area

Our Business Local service provider Kimberley Business Support is providing free and confidential business advice to help you manage business disruption and other impacts of the cyclone.

Their services include one-to-one advice delivered online, over the phone and face-to-face. The contact details for Kimberley Business Support are:

You can also access free advice from one of our SBDC business advisers by calling 133 140.

Fitzroy flood primary industries response

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) is helping primary industries affected by flooding as part of a whole-of-government response.

Visit the DPIRD website to find out more.

More information

Emergency WA has information on what you can do after an emergency, which includes information on support available to residents and businesses of impacted communities.

The Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES) website provides updates for people affected by the Kimberley floods, including updates on the clean up and what emergency services are doing to help.

Legal and risk
18 January 2023